The La Jolla Light presents this ongoing series of online activities to undertake on your computer or tablet, as well as local in-person events.
Conferences and learning
• Scripps Research presents “The Hunt for Regenerative Medicines” at 1 p.m. Wednesday, June 29, online. During the Front Row series talk, Michael Bollong will explain how his lab uses high-throughput technologies and large-scale chemistry techniques to research drugs to accelerate the body’s natural healing powers. Free.frontrow.scripps.edu
• The Pen to Paper Writing Course takes place at 1 p.m. Thursdays at the La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. The weekly class is open to writers 18+ of all experience levels. Free. (858) 552-1657
Families & children
• The Warwick bookshop presents the HarperCollins Book Truck at 10 a.m. on Friday, June 24, at 7812 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The converted ice cream truck will pull up in front of the store filled with prizes and story times for kids and families. Free.
• La Jolla/Riford Library presents a group of “kid folk” Hullaballoo at 4 p.m. on Friday, June 24 at 7555 Draper Ave. Free. lajolllibrary.org
Health and fitness
• Meditation teacher Erhard Vogel presents a “Nataraja Meditation and Yoga Center Open Lecture” at 5:45 p.m. on Monday, June 27, online and at a private home in La Jolla. Vogel will explain how to direct your mind, emotions, body, senses, intellect and intuition to your advantage. Free; donations are accepted. Call (858) 395-4033 or email [email protected] for reservations and to receive the address.
• The La Jolla Woman’s Club presents “gentle yoga” at 11:30 a.m. Thursdays at 7791 Draper Ave. The weekly course is open to the public for all levels. $15.
arts & culture
• The La Jolla Community Center and the La Jolla Art Association present a artist demonstration at 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 23 at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Local artist Beverly Brock will demonstrate acrylic pouring. Light refreshments will be served. Free. ljcommunitycenter.org
• Warwick Bookshop presents the authorGeraldine Brooks at 4 p.m. on Thursday, June 23, online. Brooks will discuss his new book, “Horse,” with author Michael Lewis. Free. warwicks.com/event/geraldine-brooks-2022
• Warwick Bookshop presents the author Julie Clark at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 23 at 7812 Girard Ave., La Jolla. Clark will discuss and sign his new book, “The Lies I Tell”. Free, or $27.99 for a reserved seat and a copy of the book. warwicks.com/event/clark-2022
• UC San Diego’s QI Gallery presents the exhibition ” #RetroColectiva” through Thursday, June 23, at Atkinson Hall, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla. The collection of works by UCSD Visual Arts Department Chair Ricardo Dominguez draws inspiration from initiatives and art at the intersection of technology, political activism, and critical theory. Free. E-mail[email protected]
• The Choir of the La Jolla United Methodist Church Choir presents its Summer pop concert at 7 p.m. on Friday, June 24 at 6063 La Jolla Blvd. The program will feature music from “Les Miserables”, followed by sundaes. Free; donations are accepted.
• AmateurPianists presents the 2022 San Diego International Piano Competition and Festival for Outstanding Amateurs Friday, June 24 through Sunday, June 26 at 7600 Fay Ave., La Jolla. The event is a showcase for amateur pianists 25+ from around the world to compete or perform. Free. AmateurPianists.org
• The Tasende gallery presents the exhibition “Mark of Suvero” through Saturday, June 25, at 820 Prospect St., La Jolla. The exhibition includes drawings and sculptures in steel. Free. tasendegallery.com
• La Jolla Presbyterian Church Presents “Requiem for the Living – A Prayer for Rest” at 4 p.m., Sunday, June 26, at 7715 Draper Avenue. The church choir choir will perform with an orchestra. Free. Registration is recommended. ljpres.org/concert-series
• Warwick’s bookstore presents La Jollan Blair Sadler at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 28 at 7812 Girard Ave., La Jolla. Sadler will discuss his new book, “(P)Luck: Lessons We Learned for Improving Healthcare and the World,” co-authored with his brother Alfred Sadler. Free, or $19.99 for a reserved seat and a copy of the book. warwicks.com/event/sadler-2022
• Adventures by the Book Presents “The Second Husband: A Virtual Fireside Adventure” at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, June 29, online. Author Kate White will talk about her new novel, “The Second Husband.” Free. bit.ly/ABBJune29
• BFree Studio presents “Paint and clay: abstract language” until Wednesday, June 29, at 7857 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The exhibition features new works by John Ratajkowski, Sylvia Tello Trumbull and Richard Trumbull. Free. bfreestudio.net
• The La Jolla Historical Society presents “The Art of the Garden” through Thursday, June 30, at La Jolla/Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. The exhibit features paintings from the La Jolla Secret Garden tour. Free.
• Quint Gallery presents the exhibition “Stars” until Saturday, July 30, at 7655 Girard Ave., La Jolla. The solo exhibition features large-scale works by Gary Lang. Free. quintgallery.com
• The La Jolla Community Center and the La Jolla Art Association present a art exhibition until Friday, August 5, at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Twelve artists present 70 works in a mix of media including acrylic, oil, digital and photography. Free. lajollaartassociation.org
• L&G Projects presents the exhibition“Here Comes the Sun”through Saturday, August 27, at 7940 Herschel Ave., La Jolla. The exhibition features works by Israeli artist Orit Fuchs. Free. landgprojects.com
Galas & events
• San Diego City Councilman Joe LaCava, whose District 1 includes La Jolla, presents“Java with LaCava”at 9 a.m. on Saturday, June 25, at Standley Park, 3585 Governor Drive, University City. The event is an opportunity to share thoughts and questions about neighborhood and city issues. Free.
Do you have an event – online or in person – that you would like to see here? Email your leads to [email protected] ◆